Not all of my complex baking visions always work out as I plan. This cupcake bouquet is a good example. I made the plans, did all the shopping, even made a mock up of how I’d arrange the cupcakes, but in the end I would up wearing the delicious cream cheese frosting as it fell over shortly after I snapped these few shots. While it sure looks cute here, the bouquet ended up being quite unstable and unsuccessful in the end.
I used a styrofoam ball atop the glass vase and toothpicks to attach the cupcakes. I think something sturdier than toothpicks or a denser cake batter would have been more promising. Any suggestions?
The cupcakes are white cake mix doctored up to be vanilla almond cupcakes and decorated with cream cheese frosting using a petal tip. Cream cheese frosting isn’t ideal for piping, it doesn’t hold its shape quite like buttercream, but it’s my mom’s absolute favorite so I did my best to make it work. After seeing Sweet Savory Life’s tutorial on buttercream pansies, I figured I’d give it a whirl with this bouquet and I was very happy with the results. The yellow centers are candy melts and the white ones are peppermint pearls.
I was able to salvage a few survivors to give to my Mom, and although they weren’t presented exactly how I had imagined, she still loved them — especially the frosting. Sadly I showed up empty handed to my Grandma’s, but at least I had a good story and have these pictures to show!
Vanilla Almond Cupcakes
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
1 box white cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 1 pan of regular muffin tins and 1 pan of mini muffin tins with cupcake liners (I only used 8 regular sized and 8 mini muffins for the bouquet)
- Add the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, almond extract, and vanilla extract to an electric mixer and mix on medium for 30 seconds
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until well mixed
- Turn mixer to high and beat for another 2 minutes
- Fill liners about 2/3 full with batter
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean
- Allow cupcakes to cool while preparing the cream cheese frosting