Okay, okay, enough with the chocolate. I know, it’s been a little indulgent over here, and so I’ve decided to go with a “healthier” option this week. These are a spin off my first post, Oatmeal Craisin Cookies, a delicious classic. Here they’ve been infused with trail mix — a mixture of craisins, chocolate chips, and chopped whole almonds. With whole wheat flour and oats, it’s as healthy of a cookie you’ll find on this blog!
I make my own “trail mix” for lunch, it’s cheaper and I can throw in whatever I like. Depending on my mood, the ratio of chocolate:other stuff can be slightly off, but normally I try to keep it almond-heavy. Wasabi peas sometimes make an appearance in the mix , but probably wouldn’t be too tasty in these cookies, although I’m not going to stop you from trying. That’s what’s fun about making cookies — you can throw in whatever you like! Maybe a pinch of espresso powder, a few macademia nuts, even some pretzels if you’re feeling compost
-esque. Although I highly recommend this combo of crasins, chocolate chips, and raw almonds…
These cookies have a good crunch with a chewy interior, are full of flavor, and make you feel wholesome as you eat them. I opted to use all whole wheat flour in these, but you can do 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat if you want a less dense version. Of course it’s hard to ignore the butter and sugar in the recipe too, but I’m not suggesting you eat these for breakfast — just a healthier option if you’re in the mood for something sweet. Spring break is quickly approaching (yayy!) and I know a lot of people who would appreciate a figure-friendly sweet like this. But let’s be honest, with those Reese’s eggs lurking on every corner of the grocery store these days, it’s almost impossible to be on a diet. The fact that Easter is still over 2 months away is bad news for anyone who dreams about egg-shaped candy all year like I do. Help combat those sweet cravings with a batch of these cookies!
Trail Mix Cookies
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup mixture of chopped almonds, craisins, and semisweet chocolate chips
– In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
– Add the egg and vanilla
– In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
– With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry mixture into the wet until just combined.
– Stir in the oats, almonds, craisins, and chocolate chips.
– Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Lightly grease a cookie sheet and spoon dough in 1-1/2 inch balls onto the sheet.
– Bake for 9-10 minutes and cool on a wire rack
Recipe yields about 12 cookies