Happy 2011 everyone! I’m currently suffering from mild depression since school started up again yesterday, but I’m very thankful to have had such a relaxing break. Puerto Rico was a blast, Christmas was great with my family, and Ryan and I celebrated NYE in NYC with some of our closest friends. I read good books, watched plenty of trashy TV (new addiction: American Pickers, anyone else?) , and of course did some baking. But this post isn’t a true baked good, there’s not even a real recipe to go along with it — just a great party idea if you love the combination of chocolate, strawberries, and alcohol as much as I do.
My friend Marissa and I dreamt these up (the creative mindpower behind epic desserts such as our Giant S’mores Cake) as a fun snack/drink to serve at her New Year’s Eve party. They’re as simple as they look — hulled out strawberries dipped in melted chocolate and filled with whatever you’d like. We combined vanilla vodka, Godiva liquor, and some chocolate syrup for a delicious shot in an edible glass. Take your shot and eat it too!
I know I said there’s not real recipe, but here are some tips for making your own Chocolate Covered Strawberry Shot Glasses:
– Try to choose strawberries as big as you can find, unless of course you want to make baby shots
– Cut the point of the strawberry off so they can stand on their own, the melted chocolate helps form a little base too which makes them even more stable
– We recommend hulling out the strawberries using a paring knife and grapefruit spoon, you have to be careful not to make them too thin or they’ll break (nothing a little melted chocolate can’t help mend!). Don’t forget to pat strawberries dry before dipping in chocolate.
– Freeze the dipped strawberry cups for maximum sturdiness, and to keep your drink cold. Let them thaw for a few minutes before serving so no one breaks any teeth
– Top with whipped cream and sprinkles for an extra special touch (we thought of the idea after already doing the grocery shopping, oh welll)