My exam is finally over and it’s time to start cranking out the holiday sweets! Remember last year when I made Santa Hat Brownie Bites with strawberries? Well I came up with a new way to jazz up some strawberries for the holidays this year. This version takes a little more work with piping all over the strawberries, but certainly not much skill so I highly suggest you give them a try even if you’re nervous about piping.

I think it would be really cute to do a platter of Santa hats and Christmas trees mixed in together — less work piping a whole plate of trees too! I made my stars out of yellow fondant, decorated the tree with white peppermint pearls and red hots (it was what I had on hand), and sprinkled them generously with disco dust. Edible glitter is the perfect holiday accessory. You might even want to dust the brownie bites with some powdered sugar or sweetened coconut to imitate a thin layer of snow. Of course I don’t think of these ideas until days after I finished baking, but I’m here to not only give you recipes and ideas, but also suggestions on how to improve upon them. My brain has been too full of infectious diseases to allow for creativity, but now that the test is over, my brain is reeling with ideas!

There’s no specific recipe with this, but here’s what you need to make them like I did:

Your favorite brownie recipe, halved (This one’s my favorite)
Batch of pipeable frosting (I used cream cheese frosting because it’s delicious)
24 small-medium strawberries
Yellow fondant or star-shaped sprinkles
Small ball shaped candy decorations
Disco dust (if you have it)

- Bake your brownies in greased mini-muffin tins filled up 3/4 of the way. You’re going to have to shorten the baking time a bit, so just keep your eyes on them as they bake — they’re done when a cake tester comes out clean.
- Ask the brownies are baking and cooling, put together your frosting and dye it green.
- Once baked and cooled, secure the strawberries to the brownies with a dab of frosting
- Put frosting in a piping bag fit with a small star tip, and cover the entire strawberry by starting at the strawberry, applying a bit of pressure, and pulling away gently to a nice point.

Feel free to use boxed brownie mix, canned frosting, and whatever other shortcuts you can come up with during this busy time of year! I ended up with more brownie batter than I had strawberries, so I just baked off a few extra and decorated them with frosting without strawberries.

Photobucket

Pin It

80 Responses to “Strawberry Christmas Tree Brownie Bites”

1. #
    Cupcake Crazy Gem — December 14, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

These are SO awesome! what a fun idea, and the frosting on the Christmas trees looks so perfect…the spiky effect is identical to how Christmas trees really are! yum..this is making me hungry!

2. #
    culinaryneophyte — December 15, 2010 @ 12:51 am

Absolutely beautiful! :)

3. #
    aryudell — December 15, 2010 @ 2:22 am

Gorgeous idea!!!

4. #
    JANET — December 15, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Minunat!Arata atit de bine!

5. #
    Nesrine — December 15, 2010 @ 9:39 am

thiose are the cutest cupcake I’ve ever seen :)))

6. #
    jennaseverythingblog — December 15, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Wow! So cute and festive!! So I might be a little intimidated by the piping, but I can at least admire them from afar. =)

7. #
    Fashion Meets Food — December 15, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

oh my goodness how cute are these. I am loving your blog. I am your newest follower.

xo

8. #
    I Love Pretty Little Things — December 16, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Gorgeous and Yummy! Who could ask for more?!?

9. #
    Mauri — December 20, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Those are so wonderful and love the use of strawberry! You’ve inspired me to make the trees and hats.

10. #
    Anne @ Domesblissity — November 5, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

These are so cute. I’ll be doing some of these for sure!

Anne @ Domesblissity

11. #
    Anonymous — December 6, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Love it

12. #
    Arturo — December 7, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

if i make the frosting how long does it last? and do you use the gels to color the frosting?

I want to make the frosting ahead of time but don’t know how long ahead to make them.

thanks =]

13. #
    lbk806 — December 11, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

What consistency does the frosting need to be? Thanks

14. #
    Erica — December 12, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Arturo – you can make the frosting a few days in advance and just store it covered in the fridge. And yes, I do use gel food coloring.

lbk806 – you want the icing to be pretty stiff (mine could have been a little stiffer)so that the piped design holds its shape. Good luck!

15. #
    Caroline @lunchboxworld — December 16, 2011 @ 10:54 am

these are just great! Can we link to you on our Lunchbox World blog? http://www.lunchboxworldblog.blogspot.com

16. #
    Erica — December 16, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

Caroline, you are welcome to link back here. Thanks!

17. #
    Dionysus — January 17, 2012 @ 3:40 am

I love these, what a great idea:)

18. #
    Anonymous — February 16, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

We made these at Christmas. They were sooooo cute but we ran into a problem. The sugar in the icing made the strawberries weep and they ended up in a soupy mess. Did you have problems with that?

19. #
    Anonymous — September 8, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

Hi just found your page through “Hike those Likes on Facebook”. Wanted to know who had made the cakes they had pictured found you. Great idea for xmasxx

20. #
    susan rodgers — October 23, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Do you think these would freeze or would the strawberry mush?

• Erica — October 23rd, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I don’t think I would freeze them – when you thaw the strawberries they will most likely be mushy and probably won’t hold up with the frosting.

21. #
    Ruth — October 26, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

Wow! This is so lovely!

22. #
    Jacqueline — November 11, 2012 @ 4:47 am

Hello I made these cupcakes and they were a lot easier than I expected. They turned out great and tasted amazing.
    I did leaves instead of star dollops and used sparkly sugar baubles instead of the red and white sweets and made my own white chocolate stars.
    Great recipe and idea…thanks heaps for sharing… :)
    They did not last long enough to worry about the strawberries weeping…
    Making the santa hats next…
    Is there anyway I can share a pic of mine with you?
    Jacqueline

23. #
    Karla Baker — November 26, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

These are adorable. Wonder if you could use whipped cream or cool whip instead of frosting? Looks like maybe you could. Anyone tried it? Thanks.

24. #
    Julia — November 30, 2012 @ 12:02 am

Great Idea. Id love to make these for Christmas this year….but any tips on transporting them? They look very delicate.

• Erica — December 11th, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Hmm that’s a tough one, if you use frosting to secure the trees to the brownies, they should be good. Maybe load them back into the mini muffin tin for transportation. Good luck!

25. #
    Carol — December 5, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I love fresh produce & I love what you have done here – this was shared by one of my favourite fresh produce grower groups Seasonal Berries.

Brilliant and well done!

Best wishes, and Merry Christmas,

Carol x

26. #
    CJ — December 9, 2012 @ 1:46 am

WOW … These are gorgeous!!!

27. #
    Crystal May — December 13, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

I wonder if colored coolwhip would be thick enough to use for the frosting on the trees if you used gel coloring and put it in the freezer to thicken back up before frosting?

28. #
    Lisa — December 17, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Hi,
    I was just wondering if I could keep them in the fridge until I transport them to a party?? I always have trouble with my cream cheese icing melting/drooping when I keep it out?? These are so adorable, thanks so much!
    Lisa

• Erica — December 17th, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Yup, keeping them in the fridge is definitely your best bet!

29. #
    Sherri — December 19, 2012 @ 12:15 am

Erica, Thank you for such a perfect idea for my holiday baking! I love these trees!!! I wanted to bake brownies this year and wanted to do something creative, so thank you so much, and have a wonderful holiday from Kentucky to Conneticut

30. #
    Dave — December 24, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

Very nice! Where can I purchase the star on top of the tree?

• Erica — December 26th, 2012 @ 1:51 am

It was a star I made out of fondant, not purchased. Good luck!

31. #
    larissa — December 29, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

i wonder if you could melt white chocolate and add coloring for frosting instead this way its like chocolate covered strawberries

32. #
    Gina — December 30, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

Hello Erica,! Great work you do! I was wondering, did anyone else try it (besides you :))? I just finished them but they are a sugar bomb!!!!! I only did 10 of them and I think I should visit my dentist just by smelling the sweetness :)). Is it the way it should be? I have to admit that I had to convert everything into grams, maybe I made a mistake?

Thank you! Happy New Year!

33. #
    Laura — November 18, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Just wanted to let you know that this private group on facebook shared your recipe as their own: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NaturalWeightLossFriends/

Looks lovely though!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: AliLily – 40 Great Christmas Tree Tutorials and Recipes

2. Pingback: Five Things Friday: Christmas Cooking Ideas « Keepsmeoutofmischief

3. Pingback: Strawberry Christmas Tree Brownie Bites Cupcakes, Chocolate Cupcakes, How To Cupcakes, Cupcake Recipes, Chocolate Cupcakes, Amazing Cupcakes, Unique, Decorating, Cupcakes

4. Pingback: Cute Christmas Treat - Utah Sweet Savings | Utah Sweet Savings

5. Pingback: 15 cool and creative Christmas food ideas

6. Pingback: Christmas Recipes Round Up « Cooking In Japan

7. Pingback: Strawberry Christmas Tree Brownie Bites : Bless This Recipe

8. Pingback: Holiday Foods: A Round-Up

9. Pingback: Zoete kerstboom, winterse brownies - Like & Love (it!)

10. Pingback: Creative Holiday Treats | Nosh

11. Pingback: Strawberry Christmas Tree Brownie Bites | DESIGNFALL

12. Pingback: 10 beautiful cupcakes to inspire your Christmas baking - eatcookcode.comeatcookcode.com

13. Pingback: Cutedrop » Ideias criativas para a sobremesa no Natal

14. Pingback: World’s Strangest | The 25 Greatest Christmas Treats for Chocolate Lovers

15. Pingback: Oh, How Pinteresting (12/7/11)

16. Pingback: 16 Creative Cupcake Decorating Designs – DesignSwan.com

17. Pingback: Catch Up Post – Part 2 « A Sweet n' Saucy Blog

18. Pingback: Mini-Muffin Christmas Tree | salvaununicornio

19. Pingback: Christmas Tree Brownie Bits | The Paper Penguin

20. Pingback: Strawberry christmas tree brownie bites

21. Pingback: 15 cool and creative Christmas food ideas | Mum's Grapevine

22. Pingback: Creative Christmas Cupcake Ideas

23. Pingback: Christmas Tree cupcakes |

24. Pingback: Christmas Tree Brownies with a Strawberry Surprise

25. Pingback: winter holiday menu

26. Pingback: Fun Christmas Party Food | Sassaby Blog

27. Pingback: [DIY] 15种超级可爱的圣诞甜品 | 谈谈新闻俱乐部 | 谈谈新闻俱乐部

28. Pingback: 25 Ways to Create Edible Christmas Trees! | ابداعات

29. Pingback: 10 Christmas Cookies, Desserts for the Kid In All of Us | The Jenny Evolution

30. Pingback: 20 Christmas Treats for Kids - Chaos Is Bliss | Chaos Is Bliss

31. Pingback: Lekkerste kerstkoekjes: 5 originele recepten - Like & Love (it!)

32. Pingback: Deliciosos cupcakes para disfrutar en Navidad | Craft+Co. | Creatividad, inspiraciones y compras en Internet

33. Pingback: Simply Shari's Three Dimensional Gluten Free Christmas Cookies TreesSimply Shari's

34. Pingback: Getting into the Christmas Spirit

35. Pingback: The most interesting Christmas food you'll see this year » Shared Ingredients

36. Pingback: strawberry christmas tree brownie bites

37. Pingback: 24 Yummy Christmas Treats for Kids | Style Motivation

38. Pingback: Christmas Sweet Treats | For the love of design and everything artsy - fartsy | Artsyscoop

39. Pingback: 15 Christmas Decorative Food Ideas

40. Pingback: Top Recipes with Strawberries!

41. Pingback: Top Recipes with Strawberries!

42. Pingback: 35 Awesome Cupcake Recipe and Decorating Ideas | Buzz + Inspired