Ever since I made Cookies and Cream Popcorn a few months ago I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to try a new flavor of candied popcorn. Not that I really needed an official occasion for such a delicious concoction, but I wasn’t about to trust myself with a batch of this stuff just sitting around the apartment. So when I was invited to a pool party a few weekends ago, I knew this would be the perfect treat that would feed a lot of people but be easy to throw together. And let me tell you, this funfetti popcorn was definitely the right choice – it literally disappeared within the few minutes after I showed up!!
I loved the cookies and cream version I tried first particularly because it was an extremely simple recipe. Well, this funfetti version one ups the C&C in simplicity since you don’t even have to smash up Oreos as an extra step. Just pop two bags of popcorn, measure out a cup of cake mix, melt some white chocolate, and mix it all together with a boatload of sprinkles! It’s crazy how good the results are, and your friends will think you’ve done something incredibly complicated since it’s just that delicious. But things that taste good don’t always have to be hard to make – anyone who loves boxed brownies as much as I do can attest to that. The finished product is bright, colorful, and fun, making it perfect for birthday parties, pool parties, or because it’s Tuesday and you’re hungry!
Funfetti Cake Batter Popcorn
Recipe adapted from Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen
2 bags microwavable kettle corn or white popcorn
1-1/2 cups white chocolate chips or vanilla candy melts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cup white or yellow cake mix
1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Pop the popcorn in the microwave, following packaging instructions. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl, being careful to pick out all of the unpopped kernels.
- Melt the white chocolate chips or candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each 30 seconds until it is fully melted.
- Stir in the vegetable oil to the melted chocolate until smooth. Then add the cake mix to the chocolate - the mixture will be thick, but mix until well-incorporated.
- Drizzle the chocolate/cake batter mixture over the popcorn and add half of the sprinkles. Use your (clean) fingers to toss everything together until evenly coated.
- Spread the popcorn onto wax paper-lined cookie sheets to allow the chocolate to harden and sprinkle the remaining sprinkles on top.
- Let popcorn harden for about 20 minutes on the counter, or 5 minutes in the fridge, and enjoy!